Home Osteopathic Medicine Association Research Recognition Education Minorities Publications

Publications Communicate Osteopathic Theory and Practice.

As the demand for information about osteopathic medicine increased in the early years of A.T. Still’s practice, he found the need to provide a medium to his colleagues and to the public. Dr. Still spread the news through his Journal of Osteopathy, a monthly tabloid that carried reprints of favorable newspaper stories. The Journal was issued by the American School of Osteopathy. Jenette "Nettie" Bolles, D.O., a member of the school’s first graduating class, served as its editor.

The Journal of Osteopathy was an astounding success, rising from "several hundred" circulation in 1894 to 18,000 by 1896.

The JAOA

The first issue of the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association appeared in September 1901. At a publishing cost of $60 a year, subscription prices for non-members was set at $3 annually. Members received The JAOA as part of their $5 annual membership fee.

The JAOA began as a bi-monthly publication until 1902 when it became monthly. Edythe Ashmore, D.O., of Detroit was selected to head a campaign in which D.O.s would submit brief patient histories. Twice each year, from 1904 to 1909, the 100 best histories were selected for publication as a supplement to The JAOA.

 

The Forum of Osteopathy

As the profession matured and assumed a significant national health role, it became increasingly apparent that the news it was creating—as well as the activities of local groups—would affect osteopathic groups everywhere. It was decided that such news could only be disseminated through the center of activity, the AOA, and in April 1927 The Forum of Osteopathy began publication as a monthly magazine.

With The Forum underway, The JAOA was able to narrow its focus to scientific and technical material, with some news of the AOA. The publications served two distinct member needs: that for scientific information, and that for news regarding activities of the AOA and affiliate groups. The Forum of Osteopathy became The DO in September 1960. William E. Brandt, D.O., was acting editor of the new publication.

In 1961, George W. Northup, D.O. became editor-in-chief for AOA publications and continued in that role until 1987, when he became Editor Emeritus. During his tenure, The JAOA and The DO refined their editorial roles: The JAOA serving member needs for academic information and The DO as a conduit for information regarding the osteopathic physician’s professional world. With the rise of affiliations with major comprehensive universities came a corresponding increase in research activities; this is reflected in the content of The JAOA, which publishes papers of the highest quality work from osteopathic academic institutions and researchers.

The George W. Northup, DO, Medical Writing Award


 

 

Jaoa December, 1919.

 

 

 

 

The D.O Magazine November, 1960.

 

 

 

 

George W. Northup, D.O.


© 2006 American Osteopathic Association
Images on this Web site are property of the American Osteopathic Association Archives unless otherwise noted.
Special thanks to the AOA Committee on Osteopathic History and the Still National Osteopathic Museum.

Send comments and suggestions to info@osteopathic.org.